Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Kings Hawaiian Sweet Bread Sliders






I've always wanted to try making beef burger sliders and with what else.. but my all time favorite bread (or one of) - Kings Hawaiian Sweet Rolls!  I have to say Kings Hawaiian is doing an amazing marketing job with twitter and facebook... honestly they got me.  Because they tweet so much I actually eat more of their bread than I did before.  It also didn't hurt that I went to their restaurant up in Torrance in January and it was definitely onolicious!

So I looked up their slider recipe and went off to the market to pick up ground meat and more rolls. (By the way.. the Costco near my house sells Kings Hawaiian sweet rolls in 24 packs - YAY!).

I adjusted a few items in their recipe, instead of lettuce, I used spinach and green onion, added a thin slice of tomato.  I also didn't make the aioli sauce they described.  Instead I used Grill Mates seasoning and Tapatio on the meat.  While they look delicious and were pretty yummy there were definitely things I could have done to make it better.  The bread got really soggy from the juice of the patty and the patties were a little bland.  I bought Angus beef pre-made sliders so I didn't have to sit there and mold the meat myself.  But laziness meant the burgers lacked some flavor.  If I made them myself I could have marinated the meat and added more seasoning.  I think next time I'll try that, and also poke a few holes in the meet so there's not as much juice, maybe add some cheese too!

All in all, a good first beef slider experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment