Monday, February 14, 2011

Daring Cook - February Challenge - Soba Noodles & Tempura

The February 2011 Daring Cooks’ challenge was hosted by Lisa of Blueberry Girl. She challenged Daring Cooks to make Hiyashi Soba and Tempura. She has various sources for her challenge including japanesefood.about.com, pinkbites.com, and itsybitsyfoodies.com.
So this is my first ever Daring Cooks' challenge! And I know the soba was going to be no problem, although I did have difficulty finding Kombu and Katsuobushi dashi and used a fish based one instead that usually goes into miso soup.. maybe it's the same? Not sure. However it still came out tasty and doubled as a dipping sauce for the tempura!

The soba is easy to make in large batches and I made it for a Lunar New Year potluck (despite the fact the Japanese don't really celebrate Lunar New Year). 







 The tempura I was afraid of. I haven't had good experiences with deep frying things in a pot of oil and have always wanted to get a deep fryer, but opted to give it a shot anyway. The tip they provided about knowing when the oil is hot enough was fantastic - you drop a bit of batter in and if it sinks and floats immediately you're ready to go.  The trick is that the batter stays cold and the moment it hits the water is when you get that light, fluffy taste!  I had blanched the sweet potato a little too long, but they still came out tasty anyway.

1) Take the veggies, dip them into flour:


2) Dip them into the batter that sits in an ice bath:


3) Deep fry and enjoy!


I honestly was so surprised that they came out so pretty and tasty!  I'm quite proud of myself and now not as scared to deep fry things.  I think it's time to get a thermometer and forgo the deep fryer purchase.. for now. :)

1 comment:

  1. I did not put it together that this was a Daring Cooks Challenge because I only signed up to be a Daring Baker. Congrats on a successful challenge! Armando signed up for both too. You'll have to compare notes once he gets going. Next month will be his first month.

    ReplyDelete