Sunday, May 15, 2011

Daring Cook - May Challenge - Chicken Gumbo

Our May hostess, Denise, of There’s a Newf in My Soup!, challenged The Daring Cooks to make Gumbo! She provided us with all the recipes we’d need, from creole spices, homemade stock, and Louisiana white rice, to Drew’s Chicken & Smoked Sausage Gumbo and Seafood Gumbo from My New Orleans: The Cookbook, by John Besh.


I organized a potluck for my fellow business school students and started cooking and preparing the gumbo at 4:00pm today.  WOWIE!  I was surprised at how long it was going to take and actually ended up not cooking it as long as it said I should.  However it was a huge success, the pots were scraped clean by the end of the night.


Minor glitches included wondering why it wasn't a dark golden brown when I realized that was probably due to using vegetable oil instead of duck/chicken fat, having too small a cast iron pot for the food so I had to split it in half, and accidentally doing the math wrong for the amount of sausage needed.  


However all in all a huge success, people loved it and it tasted pretty darn good!  :)


Photos and more details to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment